- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
Dates in History
1 July 1916 First day of the Battle of the Somme
7 July 1918 Battle of Hamel, France
10 July 1911 Formation of Royal Australian Navy (RAN)
14 July 1918 Fighting at Abu Tellul, Palestine by Australian Light Horse against German Asia Corps
19 July 1916 Battle of Fromelles
23 July 1916 Battle of Pozieres begins
31 July 1914 Labor leader Andrew Fisher declares Australians will defend Britain ‘to our last man and our last shilling’.
1 August 1917 Third Battle of Ypres begins.
3 August 1914 Australia offers assistance to Great Britain in the event of War.
3 August 1916 Australian Light Horse in Battle of Romani, Egypt .
4 August 1914 Great Britain Declares War on Germany.
6 August 1915 Battle for Lone Pine, Gallipoli.
7 August 1915 Australians charge at the Nek, Gallipoli.
8 August 1916 Battle for Moquet Farm.
8 August 1918 Battle for Amiens begins.
10 August 1914 Voluntary recruitment for the 1st AIF begins.
13 August 1914 Establishment of the Australian Red Cross.
19 August 1914 Expeditionary force sails from Australia to capture German possessions in the Pacific.
21 August 1915 Last major fighting on Gallipoli takes place at Hill 60.
24 August 1916 Official inauguration of the Australian Comforts Fund (ACF).
26 August 1916 6th Australian Brigade attacks Moquet Farm on the Somme.
31 August 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin begins.
1 September 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin continues
11 September 1914 Australian Naval & Military Expeditionary Force lands at Rabaul.
14 September 1914 HMA Submarine AE1 lost off New Guinea
17 September 1918 Australian attack on Hindenburg Line in the Picardy region of France.
19 September 1918 5th Light Horse brigade capture Nablus.
20 September 1912 Official formation of the Australian Flying Corps.
20-25 September 1917 Battle of Menin Road
21 September 1914 German New Guinea surrenders.
25 September 1918 Anzac Mounted Division capture Amman.
26 September to 3 October 1917 Battle of Polygon Wood.
- Fromelles Day Sydney 2018: Commemorative Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial and Commemorative Service
- Headstone Rededication and Commemoration at Fromelles 19 July 2018
- Fromelles Association AGM 10:30am Sunday 29 July 2018 at Castle Hill RSL Club
- Sydney Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres
- Commemoration of the Battle of Fromelles, Thursday 19 July 2018
- Bastille Day Community Celebration Saturday 14 July 2018 La Perouse Museum & Grounds
- “Fromelles Family” Gathering, Sydney, Saturday 23 June 2018
- VALE – Neville Kidd
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Author Archives: FFFAIF
Monday 11th November 2013 Remembrance Day (11 November) marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18). Each year Australians observe one minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died … Continue reading
2013 Annual General Meeting Saturday 28 September 2013 Bathurst RSL Club 114 Rankin St Bathurst NSW 2:30pm Registration from 2:15 pm. The AGM will be followed by a dinner commencing at 6:30pm. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
2014 BATTLEFIELD and COMMEMORATIVE TOURS Following the outstanding success of the 2010 and 2012 FFFAIF Western Front and Gallipoli Commemoration Tours, the Families and Friends of the First AIF are offering a similar chance for association members to partake in … Continue reading
POZIERES COMMEMORATIVE SERVICE 2013 (Story and photos by FFFAIF Vice President Jim Munro) The annual Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres was held at Saint Columba Church, Woollahra on Sunday 21 July 2013. The band of The Scots College … Continue reading
Half of the Diggers from Pheasant Wood have been named. The graves of 124 of the 250 soldiers whose remains were recovered from the communal pits near Pheasant Wood, Fromelles in French Flanders and were reburied with full military honours … Continue reading
Members and their guests are invited to The John Laffin Memorial Lecture Sunday, 7 July 2013 Speakers: Michele Bomford: Beaten Down by Blood: The Battle of Mont St. Quentin–Peronne 1918. and Graham Wilson: Australian Railway Units of the AIF during … Continue reading
In Ieper Belgium, on 4 June 2013 FFFAIF member Johan Durnez was presented with his Order of Australia Medal by Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce AC CVO Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia and Patron in Chief of the Families … Continue reading
Meeting of the Fromelles Association The Fromelles Association will be holding their annual meeting on 20 July 2013 at the Wallsend Diggers Club, Tyrrell Street, Wallsend, NSW, between 10am and 4pm. The meeting is in the form of a workshop … Continue reading
Are you interested in finding out about attending the centenary celebrations at Gallipoli on 25th April 2015? The Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on the Centenary of Anzac Warren Snowdon provided the following information on 13 May 2013: “A ballot … Continue reading