- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Uncategorized
The remains of two soldiers, likely to be Australians who fought in the First World War, were located at Bullecourt in France on Saturday, 23 May 2015. The Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said the remains … Continue reading
On 23 July 2015 the State Library of New South Wales will host a symposium exploring Australia’s complex and little-known relationship with Belgium during the Great War. It’s a free event and bookings are filling fast. Details here: Poppies Propaganda and … Continue reading
(photo: C. Munro) FFFAIF member, Lambis Englezos AM, whose team found the lost Diggers of Fromelles in a mass grave alongside Pheasant Wood in 2008, has turned his attention to what he believes is another mass grave of at least 143 … Continue reading
[A poppy field nearby Le Hamel Memorial: courtesy Yves Fohlen, France.] SENATOR THE HON. MICHAEL RONALDSON MINISTER FOR VETERANS’ AFFAIRS MINISTER ASSISTING THE PRIME MINISTER FOR THE CENTENARY OF ANZAC SPECIAL MINISTER OF STATE Saturday, 21 March 2015 VA18 MINISTER … Continue reading
SENATOR THE HON. MICHAEL RONALDSON MINISTER FOR VETERANS’ AFFAIRS MINISTER ASSISTING THE PRIME MINISTER FOR THE CENTENARY OF ANZAC SPECIAL MINISTER OF STATE GALLIPOLI 2015 — PASSES IN THE MAIL 13 March 2015 VA015 The wait is over for Australians … Continue reading
The Australian Minister for Veterans’ Affairs and Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, has announced round 7 of the Gallipoli waitlist 16 Feb 2015 More Australians will be offered the chance to … Continue reading
Tuesday, 27 January 2015 VA002 The Australian Government and Qantas today announced a collaboration to support ANZAC Centenary activities marking the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landings. Minister for Veterans’ Affairs and Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for … Continue reading
Season’s Greetings Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year From the 2014/15 FFFAIF Management Committee. Peace on earth and goodwill to all men Lest We Forget ***** The office of the FFFAIF will be taking a break over the Festive … Continue reading
‘Remember Me To All’: The archaeological recovery and identification of soldiers who fought and died in the battle of Fromelles 1916. Hardcover– July 16, 2014 by Louise Loe, Caroline Baker, Kate Brady, Margaret Cox and Helen Webb (authors) with significant … Continue reading
Wednesday, 5 November 2014 MINISTER’S OPEN LETTER TO THE EDITOR Dear Editor, This Remembrance Day, Tuesday 11 November, Australians across the nation and around the world will pause at 11am for one minute’s silence to remember the sacrifice of those … Continue reading