- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- Return of the Menin Gate Lions to Ieper
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: The Shrine
Fromelles Day Commemoration, Wednesday 19 July, Sydney All FFFAIF members, friends and descendants and members of the public are invited to attend the Commemoration of the 101st anniversary of the Battle of Fromelles to be held at the ANZAC Memorial, … Continue reading
Sydney: 10:15 at the Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park for 10:30 Solemn Procession to the ANZAC Memorial for 11:00 Commemorative Service Tuesday 19 July 2016 The Families and Friends of the First AIF invite you to attend the 100th Anniversary Commemoration of The Battle of … Continue reading
FFFAIF member Ross McMullin has added another interesting publication to his every list of books: Farewell, Dear People – biographies of Australia’s lost generation. Publisher Scribes Publications described the book as: For Australia, a new nation with a relatively small population, … Continue reading
Join FFFAIF member Chris Bryett at The Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne on Friday 16th April at 2pm as he presents the tales of Harry Harnett from the Great War. Harry Hartnett joined the Australian Imperial Force in September 1915 at … Continue reading
THE SHRINE OF REMEMBRANCE MELBOURNE DECLARED A NATIONAL MEMORIAL Photo: The Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne. 11 November 1934 [State Library of Victoria] The Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne was dedicated 75 years ago on 11 November 1934. The Shrine of … Continue reading
The following recordings from public programs held at the Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne are available for download. Photo: Lambis Englezos (left) and Tim Whitford [Tim Whitford] Don’t Forget Me Cobber: Discovering the Men of Fromelles presented by Mr. Lambis Englezos and … Continue reading
Melbourne’s Shrine of Remembrance conducts regular public lectures on a range of war related topics. Photo: Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne. [H. MacDonald] Recordings of many of talks are available to download, for a limited time, from the internet or by … Continue reading