- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: The Western Front
In April 2009, the Minister for Veteran’s Affairs, The Hon. Alan Griffin MP announced the concept of an integrated trail of commemoration on the Western Front to foster a deeper appreciation of what Australians achieved and endured in the main … Continue reading
FFFAIF Members Johan Durnez and Anny de Decker travelled from Belgium to Fromelles for the service for the interment of the first of the 250 Australian and British soldiers in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery at 11 a.m. 30th … Continue reading
The City Council of Ieper has granted planning permission for the building of a large “family house” directly opposite the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company Monument and the pedestrian entrance to the Hill 60 site. The view of Ieper, for which so … Continue reading
Edgeworth David, Professor of Geology at Sydney University and Ernest Skeats, Professor of Geology at Melbourne University proposed formation of the Mining Corps to the Federal Government early in 1915 and by June 1916 the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company was operational … Continue reading
Guillaume Moreel has sent some outstanding photos of the snow at the Cobbers statue and at VC Corner Australian Cemetery near Fromelles. Guillaume is the grandson of Madame Marie-Paule Demassiet, the lady who donated the land at Pheasant Wood that included the … Continue reading
Johan Vandewalle, who operates the ANZAC Rest (de Dreve) cafe at Polygon Wood and was a key person in the recovery of the 5 Australian soldiers at Zonnebecke and the subsequent identification of 3 of them, has sent the following photographs of … Continue reading
As Christmas Day approaches it is time to reflect on the Christmas experiences of the AIF during the Great War. Photo: Christmas silk postcard [Hosken Collection] The following poem was written by Private Leslie George Rub (No 3892) 2nd Pioneer … Continue reading
On Saturday 10 October, the Australian Ambassador to France, His Excellency, Mr David A. Ritchie, officially opened the renovations and extensions to the Fromelles village school. The school is now officially known as the Cobbers. The renaming of the school … Continue reading
The announcement of the inaugural Commemorative Western Front Battlefield Tour has been well received by FFFAIF members. The tour will take place from 14th – 27th July 2010. The tour will give members a comprehensive view of the Australian battlefields … Continue reading
Where in the World is Lambis Englezos? FFFAIF member Lambis Englezos AM has recently returned to Australia from France after visiting the Pheasant Wood site at Fromelles where the excavation and exhumation of the allied soldiers buried by the German Army following the … Continue reading