- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Fromelles
Construction continues on the new Fromelles Museum commemorating the Battle of Fromelles, 1916 . Delays in the project have resulted in a postponment of the opening of the museum as it will not be completed in time for the 97th anniversary … Continue reading
Winter has arrived in Fromelles with -10 degree C, temperatures and snow. Photos kindly shared by FFFAIF member Carole Laignel.
A new nursing home, Fromelles Manor, was opened in Lismore, NSW, on 6 December by the French Consul-General of Australia, M. Eric Berti. M.Berti said at the opening: “The people of France have not forgotten what Australia did for their country. … Continue reading
Construction continues on the site of the new Fromelles Museum. The following photo collection has once again been kindly supplied by FFFAIF member Carole Laignel.
[Serero Architects] Work began on the new Fromelles Museum last week. The Museum is to be located adjacent to the CWGC Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery and is scheduled to open on 19 July 2013. [Carole Laignel] The architects of the … Continue reading
96th Anniversary Commemorations The Battle of Fromelles 19-20 July 1916 Fromelles, France: Friday 20th July Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery Melbourne, Australia: The Shrine of Remembrance services will commence at 1:30pm on Thursday 19th July at the Cobbers Statue. For more … Continue reading
DNA tests have identified nine more soldiers killed in the Battle of Fromelles on 19th July, 1916. The graves of these soldiers will now be given their identity in the Pheasant Wood, Fromelles Cemetery. Their names are: Private Leonard Broadhurst (3013) , Sydney, … Continue reading
On the 23 March 2012 the third annual United Kingdom and Australian Joint Identification Board will convene in London in an effort to formally identify some of the remaining 140 unknown soldiers who are buried in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) … Continue reading
FROMELLES DAY – COMMEMORATIVE SERVICES SYDNEY – ANZAC Memorial Hyde Park (Eastern side of the Memorial building.) Tuesday, 19 July 10.45am for 11am start 95th Commemorative Service for the Battle of Fromelles. The first battle fought by an AIF Division … Continue reading