- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- Return of the Menin Gate Lions to Ieper
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: ANZAC Day
The commemoration of the centenary of the Anzac Obelisk on Anzac Parade was held at Moore Park Sydney on Wednesday, 15 March 2017. Official Guests included the NSW Governor, His Excellency General, The Hon David Hurley AC, The Ministers … Continue reading
Anzac Day 2014 commemorates the 99th anniversary of the landing of troops at Gallipoli. Anzac Day goes beyond the anniversary of the landing on Gallipoli in 1915. It is the day on which we remember Australians who served and died … Continue reading
Information from the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs released Sunday, 2 February 2014: NEXT STEPS FOR GALLIPOLI 2015 BALLOT 42,582 applications were received from Australians planning to attend the Dawn Service at Gallipoli in 2015, marking 100 years since the landing … Continue reading
On 25 April 2015 the 100th anniversary of the ANZAC landings at Gallipoli will be commemorated. A fair, open and transparent ballot will be held to allocate places to Australians and New Zealanders planning to attend official Anzac Day commemorations … Continue reading
Are you interested in finding out about attending the centenary celebrations at Gallipoli on 25th April 2015? The Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on the Centenary of Anzac Warren Snowdon provided the following information on 13 May 2013: “A ballot … Continue reading
98th Anniversary of Gallipoli Landing 25th APRIL 2013 Read more about Anzac Day and it’s traditions by visiting the Australian War Memorial website. Read about and watch the Last Post Ceremony at the Australian War Memorial by clicking here.
Are you planning to be in Gallipoli or France for Anzac Day? STILL TIME TO REGISTER FOR ANZAC DAY IN GALLIPOLI & FRANCE Ahead of Anzac Day 2012, Secretary for the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Mr Ian Campbell encouraged Australians … Continue reading
ANZAC Day and Easter Celebrations coincided this year resulting in a series of ANZAC Commemorations being held on alternative dates as well as the traditional 25th April. In Fromelles, France the inaugural Dawn Service was held on 21st April 2011. … Continue reading
The following report comes from FFFAIF French member Yves Fohlen who attended the Dawn Service at Villers Bretonneux. Yves has been present at each of the official services held at Villers Bretonneux. Although long before these services were conducted, Yves … Continue reading
ANZAC Day in Belgium commenced with a Dawn Service at British New Buttes Cemetery, Polygon Wood, Zonnebeke. Photo: Dawn Service New Buttes Cemetery Polygon Wood Zonnebeke Belgium [Johan Durnez] Read about this service as seen through the eyes of FFFAIF member Johan … Continue reading