- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- Return of the Menin Gate Lions to Ieper
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: ANZAC Day
The following photo report of Anzac Day in Brisbane 2010 was provided to the Families and Friends of First AIF by member Matt Smith. Photo: Dawn Service at Brisbane’s Shrine of Remembrance, Anzac Square Photo: Inspecting the wreaths laid during the Dawn … Continue reading
Families and Friends of First AIF member Kerry Patman from Sydney has written this report on her Anzac Day experience at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra: Photo: Entrance to Australian War Memorial Canberra early on Anzac Day I have not … Continue reading
The overcast weather did not deter an enthusiastic crowd from lining the streets of Sydney to cheer the veterans as they marched. FFFAIF member Stuart Curry with a number of supporters dressed for the occasion in historic uniforms offered their support for … Continue reading
This report was kindly supplied by an Aussie ”friend of the First AIF” living in Dubai: Waking up in Dubai you never expect to see rain, but like Sydney rain fell on Anzac Day morning from the skies of Dubai. We … Continue reading
Families and Friends of the First AIF members Ivan and Marie-Claire Sinnaeve attended the Anzac Day Service held at the Menin Gate in Ieper and provided the photos in this report. The crowd at Menin Gate began to gather early … Continue reading
The Anzac Day march in Bathurst, NSW was led by the Scots College Pipe Band. As the march approached Kings Parade the bells of the War Memorial Carillon and the Bathurst Cathedral rang out. Photo: The crowd gathered at the … Continue reading
Yves Fohlen report on Anzac Day Commemorations held at Bullecourt France on 25th April 2010 continues. The service took place in the centre of the village: Photos: Official Party in position outside the Bullecourt church [Yves Fohlen] Wreaths were laid … Continue reading
Families and Friends of the First AIF member and ‘Froggie Cobber’ Yves Fohlen shares his 2010 Anzac Day experiences in the following report. The photos in the report were provided by Yves and fellow French member Carole Laignel. On 25 April I … Continue reading
Families and Friends of First AIF member Anne Betts sent this report from the Victorian country town of Cobram. (Google Earth co-ordinates: 35o55’00.76”S 145039’02.81”E) Cobram started Anzac Day with a Dawn Service at the War Memorial, which was well attended by … Continue reading