- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Bullecourt
A project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed Remembrance of the Battles of Bullecourt, 10-11 April and 3-17 May 1917, have been kept alive by the local community over the past … Continue reading
Claude Durand and his wife Colette welcoming the 2012 FFFAIF Tour Group to the Bullecourt luncheon. Claude observing Maurice Campbell presenting a Gilgandra tea-towel to Yves Fohlen. It was with great sadness that news has been received of the sudden … Continue reading
Jean Letaille AM On behalf of the committee and members of Families and Friends of the First AIF I express condolences to the family and friends on the sudden passing of Jean Letaille. We are informed that Jean passed away on … Continue reading
The following report comes from FFFAIF French member Yves Fohlen who attended the Dawn Service at Villers Bretonneux. Yves has been present at each of the official services held at Villers Bretonneux. Although long before these services were conducted, Yves … Continue reading
Yves Fohlen report on Anzac Day Commemorations held at Bullecourt France on 25th April 2010 continues. The service took place in the centre of the village: Photos: Official Party in position outside the Bullecourt church [Yves Fohlen] Wreaths were laid … Continue reading
Yves Fohlen, FFFAIF member in France continues his report from ANZAC Day with an account on the commemorations at Bullecourt. (50o11’33.47”W, 2o55’38.87”E). Yves’ report on ANZAC Day Dawn Service can be read by clicking here. ANZAC Day Bullecourt, France I … Continue reading
Froggie Cobber and FFFAIF member Yves Fohlen reports on the ANZAC commemoration at Bullecourt: On Saturday 26 April I and Jean Letaille awaked at 6.30 am. After a strong Breakfast we went to the small cross of Remembrance settled years … Continue reading