- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- More Tasmanian soldiers have their Great War service acknowledged
- Centenary of the Anzac Obelisk on ANZAC Parade, Moore Park Sydney 15 March 2017
- Remembrance Weekend Sydney
- Special Event to Welcome Martial and Catherine Delabarre to Sydney
- Commemorations of the Battle of Pozieres, 23 July 1916
- Commemorations of the Battle of Fromelles 19-20 July 1916
- Commemoration of the Battle of Fromelles 19-20 July 1916
- Message of support to Belgium and French members
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Commemorations
Ivan Sinnaeve ‘Shrapnel Charlie’ On behalf of the committee and members of Families and Friends of the First AIF, I express condolences to Marie Claire Sinnaeve, her family and friends on the loss of her dear husband, Ivan, at the age … Continue reading
Jean Letaille AM On behalf of the committee and members of Families and Friends of the First AIF I express condolences to the family and friends on the sudden passing of Jean Letaille. We are informed that Jean passed away on … Continue reading
Members of the FFFAIF were present at the Australian War Memorial on Tuesday 14 February for the dedication of commemorative plaques for the 2nd, 13th, 34th and 54th Australian Infantry Battalions. FFFAIF member and author of Our Gift to the … Continue reading
During February 2012 two special dedication services will take place in the grounds of The Australian War Memorial, Canberra for Battalions of the First AIF. Dedication of plaques to commemorate the service and honour of the 2nd, 54th, 13th and 34th Battalions … Continue reading
John Laffin Memorial Lecture An invitation to attend the Annual John Laffin Memorial Lecture to be held in Sydney on Sunday 3rd July 2011 10.30am – 3.00pm Ashfield RSL Club 374 Liverpool Rd Ashfield This year’s speakers will be Mr John … Continue reading
Pozieres Day Commemoration The First Battalion Association is commemorating the Battle Pozieres at their annual service. This is a most impressive service conducted under the Cross of Pozieres. This service has been continuous since 1935, passed on from the 1st … Continue reading
A Roll of Honour Plaque will be dedicated on 26 March 2011 in Bapaume to the men of the AIF who were killed on March 25/26 1917 in an explosion in Bapaume Town Hall. Photo: Privates Charles Neild and Alexander … Continue reading
FFFAIF member Julie Reece is once again leading a group of young South Australians across the battlefields of the Western Front. The students come from Meningie Area School and Birdwood High School and are members of the Connecting Spirits project. Photo: … Continue reading
Remembrance Day in Ieper Belgium was very different to the bright sunshine of Canberra. FFFAIF Belgium member Anny Decker sent these photos of the commemorations in a very wet and windy Ieper where the crowds were smaller than anticipated due to … Continue reading