- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
Dates in History
1 July 1916 First day of the Battle of the Somme
7 July 1918 Battle of Hamel, France
10 July 1911 Formation of Royal Australian Navy (RAN)
14 July 1918 Fighting at Abu Tellul, Palestine by Australian Light Horse against German Asia Corps
19 July 1916 Battle of Fromelles
23 July 1916 Battle of Pozieres begins
31 July 1914 Labor leader Andrew Fisher declares Australians will defend Britain ‘to our last man and our last shilling’.
1 August 1917 Third Battle of Ypres begins.
3 August 1914 Australia offers assistance to Great Britain in the event of War.
3 August 1916 Australian Light Horse in Battle of Romani, Egypt .
4 August 1914 Great Britain Declares War on Germany.
6 August 1915 Battle for Lone Pine, Gallipoli.
7 August 1915 Australians charge at the Nek, Gallipoli.
8 August 1916 Battle for Moquet Farm.
8 August 1918 Battle for Amiens begins.
10 August 1914 Voluntary recruitment for the 1st AIF begins.
13 August 1914 Establishment of the Australian Red Cross.
19 August 1914 Expeditionary force sails from Australia to capture German possessions in the Pacific.
21 August 1915 Last major fighting on Gallipoli takes place at Hill 60.
24 August 1916 Official inauguration of the Australian Comforts Fund (ACF).
26 August 1916 6th Australian Brigade attacks Moquet Farm on the Somme.
31 August 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin begins.
1 September 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin continues
11 September 1914 Australian Naval & Military Expeditionary Force lands at Rabaul.
14 September 1914 HMA Submarine AE1 lost off New Guinea
17 September 1918 Australian attack on Hindenburg Line in the Picardy region of France.
19 September 1918 5th Light Horse brigade capture Nablus.
20 September 1912 Official formation of the Australian Flying Corps.
20-25 September 1917 Battle of Menin Road
21 September 1914 German New Guinea surrenders.
25 September 1918 Anzac Mounted Division capture Amman.
26 September to 3 October 1917 Battle of Polygon Wood.
- Fromelles Day Sydney 2018: Commemorative Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial and Commemorative Service
- Headstone Rededication and Commemoration at Fromelles 19 July 2018
- Fromelles Association AGM 10:30am Sunday 29 July 2018 at Castle Hill RSL Club
- Sydney Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres
- Commemoration of the Battle of Fromelles, Thursday 19 July 2018
- Bastille Day Community Celebration Saturday 14 July 2018 La Perouse Museum & Grounds
- “Fromelles Family” Gathering, Sydney, Saturday 23 June 2018
- VALE – Neville Kidd
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Events
FFFAIF members are invited to come and shop at the on-line book fair in the Members’Area from 12 n00n (Eastern Summer Time) Saturday 12th January, 2013. To access to the Members’ Area you will need the 2012/13 password. Then go … Continue reading
A new nursing home, Fromelles Manor, was opened in Lismore, NSW, on 6 December by the French Consul-General of Australia, M. Eric Berti. M.Berti said at the opening: “The people of France have not forgotten what Australia did for their country. … Continue reading
FFFAIF member and author Ross McMullin will be in Sydney in the coming week to talk about his most recent book Farewell, Dear People: Biographies of Australia’s Lost Generation. Ross describes the book as being ‘strongly in tune with FFFAIF objectives and … Continue reading
[Serero Architects] Work began on the new Fromelles Museum last week. The Museum is to be located adjacent to the CWGC Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery and is scheduled to open on 19 July 2013. [Carole Laignel] The architects of the … Continue reading
This week’s Book Auction commenced on Monday 3rd September. The funds raised from the sale of the books will go towards the John Laffin Memorial Fund, with the final bidding taking place on Saturday 8th September. These books are currently … Continue reading
96th Anniversary Commemorations The Battle of Fromelles 19-20 July 1916 Fromelles, France: Friday 20th July Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery Melbourne, Australia: The Shrine of Remembrance services will commence at 1:30pm on Thursday 19th July at the Cobbers Statue. For more … Continue reading
Families and Friends of First AIF 2012 Annual General Meeting and Dinner Garden City Motel 55 Jerrabomberra Avenue Narrabundah, ACT 2609 AGM: Saturday 15 September at 2.15pm for 2.30pm in the Banksia Room Dinner: Saturday 15 September (time to be … Continue reading
John Laffin Memorial Lecture Sunday 24th June 2012 Bathurst RSL Club 11am FFFAIF members and guests, along with members of the public, are invited to the annual John Laffin Memorial Lecture to be held on Sunday 24th June at the … Continue reading
43rd INFANTRY BATTALION AIF MEMORIAL DEDICATION AND BATTLE OF MESSINES SERVICE 7 JUNE 2012 On Thursday 7 June 2012 a memorial to the 43rd Infantry Battalion AIF will be dedicated on The Pathway of Honour, Adelaide. This date is the … Continue reading
FFFAIF member Ross McMullin has added another interesting publication to his every list of books: Farewell, Dear People – biographies of Australia’s lost generation. Publisher Scribes Publications described the book as: For Australia, a new nation with a relatively small population, … Continue reading