- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Gallipoli
Are you interested in finding out about attending the centenary celebrations at Gallipoli on 25th April 2015? The Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on the Centenary of Anzac Warren Snowdon provided the following information on 13 May 2013: “A ballot … Continue reading
An oceanic survey of Anzac Cove has revealed some amazing finds and produced some magnificent photos of the project. Photo: Hospital barge at Anzac Cove [Mark Spencer] To find out more about the survey and see more of these fantastic … Continue reading
The 95th anniversary of the first Anzac Day will be commemorated around Australia and across the world. Photo: Anzac Service at Oatley War Memorial in Sydney, 18th April 2010 [Chris Munro] The ANZAC acronym is formed from the initials of … Continue reading
The Australian War Memorial has a special travelling exhibition to commemorate the 95th anniversary of the Gallipoli Campaign, This Company of Brave Men The Gallipoli VCs . Photo: Captain Albert Jacka VC MC with Bar, first Australian VC winner Gallipoli Peninsula [AWM No.A … Continue reading
The Australian War Memorial has over 300 maps from the Gallipoli campaign in its collection. Access to a selection of these maps is available through the AWM website at Mapping Gallipoli. Photo: Gallipoli Peninsula from Chunuk Bair [Munro Collection] The collection includes … Continue reading
Do you want to learn more about the Gallipoli Campaign, especially the events surrounding the “August Offensive”? The Australian War Memorial is hosting an international conference with leading military historians from around the world to bring multi-national perspectives to the many questions … Continue reading
25th April 2010 will be the 95th Anniversary of the landing of Australian troops on the shores of Gallipoli. The Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Alan Griffin, has recently announced a number of initiatives to commemorate the Anniversary including: Gallipoli’s Victoria Cross … Continue reading
The appeal for the return of the Gallipoli flag stolen from ANAZC House in Sydney has been successful. The missing flag was returned anonymously on Friday 14 August. For more details read: ABC News: Stolen Gallipoli flag returned to RSL. Click … Continue reading
A significant piece of Australia’s heritage has been stolen from NSW RSL headquarters in Sydney. The first flag to be carried ashore to Gallipoli by Australian troops has been stolen from ANZAC House. The Sydney Morning Herald article on Thursday 6 August … Continue reading