Dates in History
1 July 1916 First day of the Battle of the Somme
7 July 1918 Battle of Hamel, France
10 July 1911 Formation of Royal Australian Navy (RAN)
14 July 1918 Fighting at Abu Tellul, Palestine by Australian Light Horse against German Asia Corps
19 July 1916 Battle of Fromelles
23 July 1916 Battle of Pozieres begins
31 July 1914 Labor leader Andrew Fisher declares Australians will defend Britain ‘to our last man and our last shilling’.
1 August 1917 Third Battle of Ypres begins.
3 August 1914 Australia offers assistance to Great Britain in the event of War.
3 August 1916 Australian Light Horse in Battle of Romani, Egypt .
4 August 1914 Great Britain Declares War on Germany.
6 August 1915 Battle for Lone Pine, Gallipoli.
7 August 1915 Australians charge at the Nek, Gallipoli.
8 August 1916 Battle for Moquet Farm.
8 August 1918 Battle for Amiens begins.
10 August 1914 Voluntary recruitment for the 1st AIF begins.
13 August 1914 Establishment of the Australian Red Cross.
19 August 1914 Expeditionary force sails from Australia to capture German possessions in the Pacific.
21 August 1915 Last major fighting on Gallipoli takes place at Hill 60.
24 August 1916 Official inauguration of the Australian Comforts Fund (ACF).
26 August 1916 6th Australian Brigade attacks Moquet Farm on the Somme.
31 August 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin begins.
1 September 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin continues
11 September 1914 Australian Naval & Military Expeditionary Force lands at Rabaul.
14 September 1914 HMA Submarine AE1 lost off New Guinea
17 September 1918 Australian attack on Hindenburg Line in the Picardy region of France.
19 September 1918 5th Light Horse brigade capture Nablus.
20 September 1912 Official formation of the Australian Flying Corps.
20-25 September 1917 Battle of Menin Road
21 September 1914 German New Guinea surrenders.
25 September 1918 Anzac Mounted Division capture Amman.
26 September to 3 October 1917 Battle of Polygon Wood.
- Commemoration of the Battles of Third Ypres, Sydney
- 2018 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Fromelles Day Sydney 2018: Commemorative Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial and Commemorative Service
- Headstone Rededication and Commemoration at Fromelles 19 July 2018
- Fromelles Association AGM 10:30am Sunday 29 July 2018 at Castle Hill RSL Club
- Sydney Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres
- Commemoration of the Battle of Fromelles, Thursday 19 July 2018
- Bastille Day Community Celebration Saturday 14 July 2018 La Perouse Museum & Grounds
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible.
Category Archives: Ieper/Ypres
The City Council of Ieper has granted planning permission for the building of a large “family house” directly opposite the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company Monument and the pedestrian entrance to the Hill 60 site. The view of Ieper, for which so … Continue reading
Edgeworth David, Professor of Geology at Sydney University and Ernest Skeats, Professor of Geology at Melbourne University proposed formation of the Mining Corps to the Federal Government early in 1915 and by June 1916 the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company was operational … Continue reading
FFFAIF Belgian member Johan Durnez has introduced Australia to his 2009/10 high school students with a program of learning entitled Ozzie Wozzie Westhoek Project. The project integrates aspects of Australia throughout the teaching program, not only in history, but across … Continue reading
Continuing with our series of reports on Anzac Day commemorations around the world in 2009, we are featuring a photographic record of the Service at Menin Gate, Ieper. (50o51’07.22”N, 2o53’25.65”E). ANZAC Day – Menin Gate The ANZAC Day service was … Continue reading
Members of the FFFAIF who will be in the Ieper area on Monday 4 May 2009 are invited to take part in the Last Post Ceremony at Menin Gate - where a wreath will be laid on behalf of the Association. … Continue reading
On Monday 28th April the Families and Friends of the First AIF will be laying a wreath during the Last Post Ceremony at Menin Gate Ieper http://www.lastpost.be/ .