- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Members First AIF
Members and their guests are invited to Sunday, 29 June 2014 Speakers:The John Laffin Memorial Lecture. Jim Munro: The Road to the Great War. Richard Wright: Not by DNA alone: the role of archaeology and anthropology at the Pheasant Wood … Continue reading
DNA tests have identified nine more soldiers killed in the Battle of Fromelles on 19th July, 1916. The graves of these soldiers will now be given their identity in the Pheasant Wood, Fromelles Cemetery. Their names are: Private Leonard Broadhurst (3013) , Sydney, … Continue reading
Fighting Nineteenth History of the 19th Battalion, AIF by Wayne Matthews and David Wilson Formed in Sydney in March 1915, 19th Battalion AIF, had many recruits who had already served with the Australian force that captured German New Guinea. This … Continue reading
Bright sunshine and clear blue skies shone over the northern French village of Fromelles on the 19th July 2010, the 94th Anniversary of the Battle of Fromelles, as more than 5,500 people gathered to witness the burial of the 250th … Continue reading
Members of The Families and Friends of the First AIF took part in the inaugural Western Front Commemorative Tour from 14th to 27th July 2010. The Tour started in Ieper, Belgium and over the next 14 days followed the Anzacs’ trail … Continue reading
Photo: 3047 Private Robert Arthur Dewar, 55th Battalion The Minister for Veterans’ Affairs and Minister for Defence Personnel, Alan Griffin, on Saturday 8 May announced the names of a further 19 soldiers who were recently reburied in Fromelles, France. The men’s … Continue reading
The 95th anniversary of the first Anzac Day will be commemorated around Australia and across the world. Photo: Anzac Service at Oatley War Memorial in Sydney, 18th April 2010 [Chris Munro] The ANZAC acronym is formed from the initials of … Continue reading
On Saturday 10th April 2010 members of the Laffin Family gathered at Talbot House in Poperinge for the unveiling of a commemorative bench for John and Hazelle Laffin in the gardens of TochH. Belgian FFFAIF member Johan Durnez reports on … Continue reading
The list of 75 Australian soldiers whose remains were recovered from the burial pits at Pheasant Wood and whose identities have been established by the Fromelles Joint Identification Board was released on Wednesday 17 March 2010. The list is available on the … Continue reading