- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- Return of the Menin Gate Lions to Ieper
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Members’ Announcements
Members and their guests are invited to Sunday, 29 June 2014 Speakers:The John Laffin Memorial Lecture. Jim Munro: The Road to the Great War. Richard Wright: Not by DNA alone: the role of archaeology and anthropology at the Pheasant Wood … Continue reading
2013 Annual General Meeting Saturday 28 September 2013 Bathurst RSL Club 114 Rankin St Bathurst NSW 2:30pm Registration from 2:15 pm. The AGM will be followed by a dinner commencing at 6:30pm. RSVP email@example.com
2014 BATTLEFIELD and COMMEMORATIVE TOURS Following the outstanding success of the 2010 and 2012 FFFAIF Western Front and Gallipoli Commemoration Tours, the Families and Friends of the First AIF are offering a similar chance for association members to partake in … Continue reading
Members and their guests are invited to The John Laffin Memorial Lecture Sunday, 7 July 2013 Speakers: Michele Bomford: Beaten Down by Blood: The Battle of Mont St. Quentin–Peronne 1918. and Graham Wilson: Australian Railway Units of the AIF during … Continue reading
In Ieper Belgium, on 4 June 2013 FFFAIF member Johan Durnez was presented with his Order of Australia Medal by Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce AC CVO Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia and Patron in Chief of the Families … Continue reading
FFFAIF member and author Ross McMullin will be in Sydney in the coming week to talk about his most recent book Farewell, Dear People: Biographies of Australia’s Lost Generation. Ross describes the book as being ‘strongly in tune with FFFAIF objectives and … Continue reading
Why not be a little more creative this Father’s Day? Forget the socks and jocks; Eliminate the bar-b-que mate; Steer clear of the beer; Replace the vacant space with: A Gift Subscription to DIGGER Magazine or a Poppy Umbrella, or … Continue reading
John Laffin Memorial Lecture Sunday 24th June 2012 Bathurst RSL Club 11am FFFAIF members and guests, along with members of the public, are invited to the annual John Laffin Memorial Lecture to be held on Sunday 24th June at the … Continue reading
Are you interested in becoming a member of the Families and Friends of the First AIF? It’s a simple process and brings with it many benefits including: Annual subscription to our quarterly magazine: DIGGER Access to a network of like-minded … Continue reading