- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
11am Remembrance Day,
11 November, 2017
99 years since the Armistice
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- Return of the Menin Gate Lions to Ieper
- Flanders Memorial Garden dedicated at the Australian War Memorial 4 April 2017
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Memorials
June 8th is ‘Anniversary Day’ or ‘Bounty Day’ on Norfolk Island. On this day in 1856 the Pitcairn Islanders landed at Norfolk Island to start the Third Settlement. Less than 60 years later, men from the island were volunteering to become … Continue reading
Dubbo War Memorial, NSW. The City of Dubbo is located in western NSW (32o14’46.70”S, 145o36’15.16”E ) and is the location of the FFFAIF’s second Regional Meeting for 2009. The population of Dubbo is nearing 40,000 people with a regional population … Continue reading
In Memorial Way this week we look at The Gundagai War Memorial in country NSW. The information and photos have been provided by FFFAIF Committee member Graeme Hosken. Graeme also edits our DIGGER Magazine. The Gundagai (NSW) War Memorial The Gundagai … Continue reading
This week we feature the Atherton War Memorial, west of Cairns in Queensland. Queensland memorials will be a regular feature of Memorial Way thanks to the generosity of the authors of Salute the Brave – A Pictorial Record of Queensland War Memorials, … Continue reading
In Memorial Way this week we look at The Tumblong Memorial and The Cudal Memorial Gates in country NSW. The information and photos have been provided by FFFAIF Committee member and editor of DIGGER Graeme Hosken. The Tumblong (NSW) Memorial … Continue reading
The first of our postings on Memorial Way has been contributed by FFFAIF member Ray Hudson and features The Cooks Hill Memorial at Bar Beach Newcastle (NSW). The Cooks Hill Memorial was erected before the end of 1917 at Bar … Continue reading
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has recently announced a major, three-year horticultural renovation project at Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery in France. Photo: View from the top of the Australian National Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux. [Chris Munro] The announcement was made on the Commissions … Continue reading
The Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia, Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce AC, re-dedicated the Australian Corps Memorial at Le Hamel Memorial in northern France, on Saturday 8th November, 2008. The new memorial replaces the original Australian Corps Memorial … Continue reading
Bathurst War Memorial Carillion Anniversary Celebrations Photo: Bathurst War Memorial Carillion and Boer War Memorial [Alan Kitchen] The 75th Anniversary Celebrations of the Carillion will take place on Sunday 9th November 2008 during the afternoon and continue into the evening. … Continue reading