- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Poelcappelle
Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
The Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres was held on the centenary of the Battle of Polygon Wood, Tuesday 26 September 2017 at the Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney. The commemoration honoured the 43 Divisions of … Continue reading
The Centenary of the commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres on 31 July 2017 will be commemorated on July 31 at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s Tyne Cot Cemetery, in Ypres, where 12,000 British and Commonwealth troops are buried. There … Continue reading