- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- Return of the Menin Gate Lions to Ieper
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Pozieres
Fromelles Day Commemoration, Wednesday 19 July, Sydney All FFFAIF members, friends and descendants and members of the public are invited to attend the Commemoration of the 101st anniversary of the Battle of Fromelles to be held at the ANZAC Memorial, … Continue reading
The centenary of the Battle of Pozieres is to be commemorated by services in Pozieres as well as in Australia. Pozieres The commemoration service at Pozieres will be shown on ABC TV at midnight (AET) on 23 July, as part of its … Continue reading
POZIERES COMMEMORATIVE SERVICE 2013 (Story and photos by FFFAIF Vice President Jim Munro) The annual Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres was held at Saint Columba Church, Woollahra on Sunday 21 July 2013. The band of The Scots College … Continue reading
During The Battle of Pozieres, from 23 July 1916 until 7 August 1916, the AIF suffered enormous losses. Charles Bean, Australia’s official war historian described the Pozieres ridge as being more densely sown with Australian sacrifice than any other place … Continue reading
Pozieres Day Commemoration The First Battalion Association is commemorating the Battle Pozieres at their annual service. This is a most impressive service conducted under the Cross of Pozieres. This service has been continuous since 1935, passed on from the 1st … Continue reading
The Pozieres Day Commemoration Sydney An invitation from the First Battalion Association to attend the Pozieres Day Commemoration in Sydney: Date: Sunday 25th July 2010 Venue: Saint Columba Uniting Church, Corner Ocean & Forth Street Woollahra Colonel Warwick Austin, the … Continue reading
POZIERES COMMEMORATIVE SERVICE (Story and photos by FFFAIF Vice President Jim Munro) The annual Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres was held at Saint Columba Church, Woollahra on Sunday 26 July 2009. The band of The Scots College Pipes and … Continue reading
An INVITATION to attend THE FIRST BATTALION ASSOCIATION’s POZIERES MEMORIAL SERVICE at Saint Columba Uniting Church Ocean & Fourth Street Woollahra (Sydney) on Sunday 26th July 2009 During the service the Colours of the 1st Battalion RNSWR will be … Continue reading
Pozieres Commemoration Service Saint Columba Uniting Church, Woollahra Sunday 27 July 2008 The annual Pozieres Commemoration Service was held at Saint Columba Uniting Church, Woollahra on Sunday 27 July. Approximately 150 people attended this service in what had been the Presbyterian … Continue reading