- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Projects
[Serero Architects] Work began on the new Fromelles Museum last week. The Museum is to be located adjacent to the CWGC Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery and is scheduled to open on 19 July 2013. [Carole Laignel] The architects of the … Continue reading
FFFAIF member Stuart Curry is researching the 13th Field Artillery Brigade and the 14th Machine Gun Company (5th Division) with a view to completing the writing of their unit histories. To help in telling the story of the men who … Continue reading
An oceanic survey of Anzac Cove has revealed some amazing finds and produced some magnificent photos of the project. Photo: Hospital barge at Anzac Cove [Mark Spencer] To find out more about the survey and see more of these fantastic … Continue reading
Located within the Research area of this website is a section known as Military Police. Photo: Some of the men from the 1st ANZAC Corps Headquarters [Trevor Munro Collection] A new Case Book has been added to the site. This Case Book highlights a … Continue reading
In April 2009, the Minister for Veteran’s Affairs, The Hon. Alan Griffin MP announced the concept of an integrated trail of commemoration on the Western Front to foster a deeper appreciation of what Australians achieved and endured in the main … Continue reading
FFFAIF Members Johan Durnez reported on the service for the interment of the first of the 250 Australian and British soldiers in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery in RECENT NEWS Item: Fromelles Burials Begin. Johan introduced Ozzie, the kangaroo, … Continue reading
FFFAIF Belgian member Johan Durnez has introduced Australia to his 2009/10 high school students with a program of learning entitled Ozzie Wozzie Westhoek Project. The project integrates aspects of Australia throughout the teaching program, not only in history, but across … Continue reading
The Australian Governments’ Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Alan Griffin recently launched a new online resource to search for information on Australian overseas war memorials. Photo: Australian War Memorial, London [Chris Munro] The Overseas Memorials Search includes details and photographs of more … Continue reading
The Railway Chateau Cemetery is located close to Ieper and has been chosen by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission as one of four cemeteries on the Western Front to undergo a trial landscaping project. Photo: Railway Chateau Cemetery, before the … Continue reading