- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
FFFAIF 2017 Annual General Meeting
Level 2, 99 York Street, Sydney
11.00 am, Saturday, 18 November, 2017
Western Front Association Lectures
Dates in History
1 October 1918 Australian Light Horse take Damascus.
5 October 1918 Capture of Montbrehain, France by AIF.
10 October 1917 Battle of Poelcappelle, Western Front. (Third Battle Ypres).
21 October 1915 Australian Red Cross Missing & Wounded Bureau established.
21 October 1916 5th Australian Division enter the front line near Flers, Somme.
28 October 1916 First conscription referendum.
30 October 1918 Armistice with Turkey.
31 October 1917 4th Light Horse charge at Beersheba, Palestine.
1 November 1914 1st AIF Convoy sails from Albany, Western Australia.
7 November 1916 Third Battle of Gaza.
9 November 1914 HMAS Sydney sinks the Emden.
11 November 1918 Germany signs the Armistice. REMEMBRANCE DAY.
11 November 1941 Opening of the Australian War Memorial
14 November 1917 End of Third Battle of Ypres, Western Front.
2 December 1914 First Australian military aircraft despatched to war.
3 December 1914 First AIF disembarked in Egypt
3 December 1915 Siege of Kut begins in Mesopotamia.
7 December 1915 Evacuation of ANZAC troops from Gallipoli begins.
9 December 1917 Jerusalem occupied by the Desert Mounted Corps.
12 December 1917 HMAS Australia damaged in a collision with HMS Repulse.
13 December 1915 Australian Light Horse fight at Um Rakham.
20 December 1915 Last Australian troops evacuated from Gallipoli.
20 December 1917 Second conscription referendum held in Australia.
21 December 1916 Australian Light Horse capture El Arish
23 December 1916 Battle of Magdhaba, northern Sinai
31 December 1914 The second convoy of the First AIF departed Albany Western Australia.
- Project to build wind farms at the site of the Battle of Bullecourt will not proceed
- FFFAIF announces 2018 Western Front Commemorative Tour
- Commemoration of the Centenary of the Battles of Third Ypres Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park Sydney, Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Sydney Centenary Commemoration of the Third Battle of Ypres
- 2017 John Laffin Memorial Lecture
- Centenary of commencement of The Third Battle of Ypres 31 July
- Fromelles Day Sydney – Solemn Vespers and Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial Commemorative Service
- Fromelles Day Commemorations, Wednesday 19 July
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Remembrance Day
Monday 11th November 2013 Remembrance Day (11 November) marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18). Each year Australians observe one minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died … Continue reading
Remembrance Day in Ieper Belgium was very different to the bright sunshine of Canberra. FFFAIF Belgium member Anny Decker sent these photos of the commemorations in a very wet and windy Ieper where the crowds were smaller than anticipated due to … Continue reading
Under cold grey autumn skies the people of Fromelles commemorated le 91eme aniversaire de l’Armistice. Commemorations commenced at 10am at VC Corner Cemetery with the laying of wreaths at the base of the Cross of Sacrifice. The commemorations continued under … Continue reading
The commemoration of Remembrance Day in Sydney took place at the Cenotaph in Martin Place. A large crowd gathered in perfect Spring weather to remember those who have served in the defence of Australia’s freedom and the freedom of others. The Master … Continue reading
11 November 2009 Ninety one years ago on 11 November 1918 at 11 am the guns on the Western Front fell silent after more than 4 years of fighting. Major ceremonies will be held at the Australian War Memorial and … Continue reading
SBS TV Friday 28th August 2009 at 8.30pm “As It Happened: The last day of World War 1″ The BBC program description is: Broadcaster Michael Palin tells the story of how the First World War ended on 11th November 1918 … Continue reading
FFFAIF member Johan Durnez shares his account of Remembrance Day commemorations in Belgium. Members of the Leggett Family had travelled from Australia to join Johan and other locals from Geluwe on the 90th Anniversary of the signing of the Armistice … Continue reading
FFFAIF Belgium member Johan Durnez continues his report on ‘a wonderful and emotional Remembrance Day 2008′, which included the spontaneous presentation of ‘a warm scarf for greatgreatuncle Will’. Johan says: In the night of 10-11 November we had lots of … Continue reading
The French village of Fromelles commenced it’s commemoration of the 90th anniversary of the signing of the Armictice, when the villagers gathered on Friday 7 November to preview the television documentary La guerre de Bill - a film which explains the background … Continue reading
Photo: Her Excellency, the Governor-General of Australia, Ms Quentin Bryce AC, with the Australian Ambassador to France, His Excellency Mr David Ritchie, at Fromelles. The Governor-General of Australia, Ms Quentin Bryce AC, visited Fromelles on 9 November 2008. During … Continue reading