- FFFAIF supports the recognition of "FROMELLES" on State and National Memorials
Dates in History
1 July 1916 First day of the Battle of the Somme
7 July 1918 Battle of Hamel, France
10 July 1911 Formation of Royal Australian Navy (RAN)
14 July 1918 Fighting at Abu Tellul, Palestine by Australian Light Horse against German Asia Corps
19 July 1916 Battle of Fromelles
23 July 1916 Battle of Pozieres begins
31 July 1914 Labor leader Andrew Fisher declares Australians will defend Britain ‘to our last man and our last shilling’.
1 August 1917 Third Battle of Ypres begins.
3 August 1914 Australia offers assistance to Great Britain in the event of War.
3 August 1916 Australian Light Horse in Battle of Romani, Egypt .
4 August 1914 Great Britain Declares War on Germany.
6 August 1915 Battle for Lone Pine, Gallipoli.
7 August 1915 Australians charge at the Nek, Gallipoli.
8 August 1916 Battle for Moquet Farm.
8 August 1918 Battle for Amiens begins.
10 August 1914 Voluntary recruitment for the 1st AIF begins.
13 August 1914 Establishment of the Australian Red Cross.
19 August 1914 Expeditionary force sails from Australia to capture German possessions in the Pacific.
21 August 1915 Last major fighting on Gallipoli takes place at Hill 60.
24 August 1916 Official inauguration of the Australian Comforts Fund (ACF).
26 August 1916 6th Australian Brigade attacks Moquet Farm on the Somme.
31 August 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin begins.
1 September 1918 Battle of Mont St. Quentin continues
11 September 1914 Australian Naval & Military Expeditionary Force lands at Rabaul.
14 September 1914 HMA Submarine AE1 lost off New Guinea
17 September 1918 Australian attack on Hindenburg Line in the Picardy region of France.
19 September 1918 5th Light Horse brigade capture Nablus.
20 September 1912 Official formation of the Australian Flying Corps.
20-25 September 1917 Battle of Menin Road
21 September 1914 German New Guinea surrenders.
25 September 1918 Anzac Mounted Division capture Amman.
26 September to 3 October 1917 Battle of Polygon Wood.
- Fromelles Day Sydney 2018: Commemorative Procession from the Archibald Fountain to the Anzac Memorial and Commemorative Service
- Headstone Rededication and Commemoration at Fromelles 19 July 2018
- Fromelles Association AGM 10:30am Sunday 29 July 2018 at Castle Hill RSL Club
- Sydney Commemorative Service for the Battle of Pozieres
- Commemoration of the Battle of Fromelles, Thursday 19 July 2018
- Bastille Day Community Celebration Saturday 14 July 2018 La Perouse Museum & Grounds
- “Fromelles Family” Gathering, Sydney, Saturday 23 June 2018
- VALE – Neville Kidd
- The Families and Friends of the First AIF applauds the joint Australian–UK decision, to conduct a full DNA testing program on the remains of Australian and British soldiers found in mass graves at Pheasant Wood (Fromelles), and for their continuing commitment to identify as many of the fallen as is possible. We also thank the Australian, UK and French governments for affording dignified individual reburials for these soldiers, buried by German soldiers following the Battle of Fromelles on 19/20 July 1916, in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery.
Category Archives: Remembrance Day
Monday 11th November 2013 Remembrance Day (11 November) marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18). Each year Australians observe one minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died … Continue reading
Remembrance Day in Ieper Belgium was very different to the bright sunshine of Canberra. FFFAIF Belgium member Anny Decker sent these photos of the commemorations in a very wet and windy Ieper where the crowds were smaller than anticipated due to … Continue reading
Under cold grey autumn skies the people of Fromelles commemorated le 91eme aniversaire de l’Armistice. Commemorations commenced at 10am at VC Corner Cemetery with the laying of wreaths at the base of the Cross of Sacrifice. The commemorations continued under … Continue reading
The commemoration of Remembrance Day in Sydney took place at the Cenotaph in Martin Place. A large crowd gathered in perfect Spring weather to remember those who have served in the defence of Australia’s freedom and the freedom of others. The Master … Continue reading
11 November 2009 Ninety one years ago on 11 November 1918 at 11 am the guns on the Western Front fell silent after more than 4 years of fighting. Major ceremonies will be held at the Australian War Memorial and … Continue reading
SBS TV Friday 28th August 2009 at 8.30pm “As It Happened: The last day of World War 1″ The BBC program description is: Broadcaster Michael Palin tells the story of how the First World War ended on 11th November 1918 … Continue reading
FFFAIF member Johan Durnez shares his account of Remembrance Day commemorations in Belgium. Members of the Leggett Family had travelled from Australia to join Johan and other locals from Geluwe on the 90th Anniversary of the signing of the Armistice … Continue reading
FFFAIF Belgium member Johan Durnez continues his report on ‘a wonderful and emotional Remembrance Day 2008′, which included the spontaneous presentation of ‘a warm scarf for greatgreatuncle Will’. Johan says: In the night of 10-11 November we had lots of … Continue reading
The French village of Fromelles commenced it’s commemoration of the 90th anniversary of the signing of the Armictice, when the villagers gathered on Friday 7 November to preview the television documentary La guerre de Bill - a film which explains the background … Continue reading
Photo: Her Excellency, the Governor-General of Australia, Ms Quentin Bryce AC, with the Australian Ambassador to France, His Excellency Mr David Ritchie, at Fromelles. The Governor-General of Australia, Ms Quentin Bryce AC, visited Fromelles on 9 November 2008. During … Continue reading