The Families and Friends of the First AIF [FFFAIF] is an association whose purpose is “to commemorate the service, sacrifice, courage, and suffering of the First Australian Imperial Force of the Great War 1914-1918 and of their families and friends”. FFFAIF promotes “a better understanding of what the AIF did and what it stands for” and is active in:
- Helping to educate all Australians seeking knowledge and guidance in understanding the campaigns in which the Australians participated in the Great War.
- Helping Australians to conduct research and publication concerning those who served in the Great War.
- Encouraging and supporting the provision of courses in Australia’s participation in the Great War in primary, secondary and tertiary education.
- Providing scholarships, bursaries and prizes to study Australia’s participation in the Great War.”
Accordingly, FFFAIF offers the opportunity of awarding a John Laffin Memorial Prize of $500 plus 3 years e-concessional membership of FFFAIF to an outstanding student in each university which offers a course, unit or subject which has some focus on Australia’s participation in the Great War and the effects that this had on families and society.
- To a meritorious undergraduate student studying a course/unit/subject while enrolled in the university.
- For a course, which in part at least, must specifically cover Australia’s role in the Great War.
- For a course that is open to qualifying students from a broad area of Australia, reflecting the dispersed membership of FFFAIF.
FFFAIF retains the right to review annually whether the course and awarding the John Laffin Memorial Prize continues to meet its objectives and, at its discretion, continues to fund the Prize.
John Laffin Memorial History Prize Winners and payments
2017 John Laffin Memorial History Prize
MONASH UNIVERSITY > Nathaniel Sgambellone
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY > Jodi Adams
DEAKIN UNIVERSITY > Tina Horsfall
La Trobe University > Jessica Bourke
2018 John Laffin Memorial History Prize
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY > Shari Collison
DEAKIN UNIVERSITY> Jessie Mikelson
2019 John Laffin Memorial History Prize
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY > Susan Fitzpatrick
DEAKIN UNIVERSITY > Emma Johnson
2020 John Laffin Memorial History Prize
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY > Ruby Astrid Poynter
DEAKIN UNIVERSITY > Christopher Wheeler
2021 John Laffin Memorial History Prize
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY > To be awarded
DEAKIN UNIVERSITY > Sophie Briggs
The John Laffin Travel Scholarship Prize (ABN 49 207 476 906) was set up and registered as a charity and endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient, which enables the John Laffin Memorial History Prizes to be awarded.
Gifts of two dollars ($A2) or more made to the John Laffin Travel Scholarship Prize are tax-deductible. If you would like know more about the Scholarship Prize or to make a donation please contact the Trustees at :
John Laffin Travel Scholarship Prize
PO Box 4245
The John Laffin Travel Scholarship Prize was awarded (2005-2008) (See separate page for details: ‘About – John Laffin Travel Scholarship Prize winners.’)